Our Color is Green
"As the College of the Adirondacks, it’s important that we take the extra steps necessary to protect the place we call home.
We want to be a leader when it comes to reducing our environmental footprint, and we want to make sure that what we do today makes sense for tomorrow."
-Dr. John W. Mills
President, Paul Smith's College
In April of 2007 Paul Smith’s College became the 70th signatory of the American Colleges and Universities Presidents' Climate Commitment.
By signing the document, the college committed to eliminating our greenhouse gas emissions by 2029. Click here to see our action plan.
To view our bi-annual progress report and our carbon footprints for 2009 and 2011 please visit the American Colleges and Universities Presidents' Climate Commitment website at: http://rs.acupcc.org/
Below is a list of noteworthy accomplishments to date:
- 2 million dollars in Johnson Controls energy efficiency upgrades
- Offset 100 percent of our electricity use with renewable energy credits
- Committed to building only LEED certified buildings on campus
- Conducted several bio-mass feasibility studies
- Establishment of a Campus Sustainability office/staff
- Rideshare program
- Switching to zero sort recycling
- Begin composting pre-consumer food waste from the dining hall