HEOP Benefits

HEOP students at Paul Smith's are part of a family - and we do everything possible to ensure your success while you work toward your college degree. Here are some of the tools HEOP provides to make your college experience smoother.

Pre-freshman Summer Program

More will be expected of you in college than high school, which is why entering HEOP students are required to participate in a four-week summer program before starting Paul Smith's College. You'll work with college faculty in this orientation to college life, which will help you build academic skills and become familiar with our services. You'll also get a taste of all the Adirondacks have to offer, such as hiking nearby mountains or canoeing on Lower St. Regis Lake. The Summer Program is provided to students free of charge.


Weekly advising is required and provided by the HEOP staff to help you navigate any problems that may interfere with your academic work. You'll have access to academic, financial, personal, social, and career counseling.

Remedial/Developmental Courses

If you need to brush up on writing, math or science skills, non-credit remedial and developmental courses are available during the summer program and the academic year.

Academic Support

All HEOP students at Paul Smith's College can take advantage of one-on-one tutoring services through the college's Academic Success Center as well as study groups, a Writing Center and more.

Financial Support

All prospective students must submit applications for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). If you're accepted into HEOP, financial assistance is available based on individual need. Once your need is established, the college's Office of Financial Aid will develop a package combining state, federal, and institutional grants and loans. HEOP does not cover health insurance, loans, Estimated Family Contributions (EFCs), any charges incurred by a student (such as fines or costs for replacement IDs), or any aid lost due to poor academic performance.

If you need special accommodations because you have a disability, please contact the Center for Accommodative Services (CAS)


Paul Smith's College
7833 New York 30
Paul Smiths, NY 12970

(518) 327-6227
(800) 421-2605



© Paul Smith's College 2015