- Be a New York State resident for at least one year prior to enrollment in HEOP
- Be a high school graduate, have a New York Equivalency diploma (GED) or its equivalent
- Meet both academic and financial guidelines defined below
- If transferring, be previously enrolled in an approved opportunity program
- Demonstrate the necessary motivation and potential to successfully complete the program to which you have applied.
- Have an academic profile that indicates you would be non-admissible under Paul Smith's College's regular admissions standards. This includes: high school GPA and academic history.
- Meet the financial guidelines as established by the New York State Education Department. Maximum income guidelines are published every January. The currently-available income guidelines for students entering Paul Smith's College after July 1, 2015 are as follows:
|Members of Household||Maximum 2014 Income|
|For each additional person in excess of 8 add:||$7,696|
- Applicants automatically meet financial requirements if one of the following applies during the year used to determine eligibility: Their household receives public assistance, or they are living with foster parents who provide no support for college and no money is provided by the biological parents.
- Students and families must provide extensive documentation of income. This may include, but is not limited to: Federal Tax returns, W-2 form, Social Security form 1099, child support verification, and public assistance documents.