- Be a New York State resident for at least one year prior to enrollment in HEOP
- Be a high school graduate, have a New York Equivalency diploma (GED) or its equivalent
- Meet both academic and financial guidelines defined below
- If transferring, be previously enrolled in an approved opportunity program
- Demonstrate the necessary motivation and potential to successfully complete the program to which you have applied.
- Have an academic profile that indicates you would be non-admissible under Paul Smith's College's regular admissions standards. This includes: high school GPA, SAT/ACT scores and academic history.
- Meet the financial guidelines as established by the New York State Education Department. For students entering Paul Smith's in 2013:
|Members of Household||Maximum 2012 Income|
Add $7,437 for each family member in excess of 7.
- Applicants automatically meet financial requirements if one of the following applies during the year used to determine eligibility: Their household receives public assistance, or they are living with foster parents who provide no support for college and no money is provided by the biological parents.
- Students and families must provide extensive documentation of income. This may include, but is not limited to: Federal Tax returns, W-2 form, Social Security form 1099, child support verification, and public assistance documents.