FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the difference between EOP and HEOP?
As a student who identifies as a minority, do I automatically qualify for HEOP admission?
How is it that my sibling qualified for HEOP but I didn't, even though our household size and income is the same?
Why didn't I receive any financial support from HEOP when I was accepted to Paul Smith's College and transferred out of my other college?
I didn't know about HEOP when I first started college, and I think I was eligible. Can I apply now?
Now that I am an admitted HEOP student, will I (or my family) have to provide any money in order to attend Paul Smith's College?
- Maximum Stafford Subsidized Loans (freshmen, $3,500; sophomores, $4,500; juniors and seniors, $5,500)
- Health insurance (if you are not insured, you must buy the Paul Smith’s plan)
- EFC-Estimated Family Contribution. This amount is determined by your FAFSA. Not all students have EFCs, and as the FAFSA is submitted annually, the amount changes each year as well.
- Any aid lost due to poor academic performance
What does a typical EOP/HEOP freshman financial aid award package look like?
- TAP Grant
- Federal PELL Grant
- Paul Smith’s College Grant
- HEOP Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
- Federal Direct Loans
- Any additional outside scholarships a student may receive
Meet the Team
My role is to maintain and administer the Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program grant from New York State. This includes periodic reporting on the program's activities and effectiveness. I am also the academic advisor for juniors and seniors in HEOP.
Pickett Hall 203B
Amanda Leah Sorrell
Hi! I assist with recruiting students into our amazing Higher Education Opportunity (HEOP) Program; this includes visiting various high school around New York State as well as contacting students who are interested in our program. I am also the academic advisors for our first year and sophomore students. I absolutely love my job. The HEOP program is one big family. Please contact me with any questions.
Pickett Hall 203A