Paul Smith's College offers a unique opportunity for international students by combining a hands-on approach to education within
the world famous Winter Olympic area of Lake Placid (1932 and 1980) in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains. The Adirondacks
have been designated by the state as a natural park (Adirondack Park); this 6 million acre park is actually the largest in the
continental United States. Paul Smith's College consists of over 14,000 acres of the Park. Subsequently we are in an area of
the country known for forests, waterways, wildlife, recreational adventures for every level, skiing, Olympic training, small
businesses, and resort towns.
We are a small school of about 1000 students in the heart of a beautiful rural area. The town of Saranac Lake is 15 minutes away,
and Lake Placid is 30 minutes from the College. Please take a moment to review the websites of these towns, Saranac Lake
(www.saranaclake.com) and Lake Placid (www.lakeplacid.com).
International Application Checklist:
- Completed Application Form
- $30.00 application fee (Payable to Paul Smith's College in U.S. funds) See Payment Options. (Please note that your application will
not be processed until this fee is paid.)
- Personal Statement/Essay (one page minimum)
- Official transcript(s) from your high school(s) and or college(s)/university. If transcripts are not from an accredited American school,
please provide a certified translation from a service such as
World Education Services, Inc. or Josef Silny and Associates, Inc.
- Official copy of English Proficiency Test Scores. Paul Smith’s College accepts the following minimum scores:
(Students not achieving the minimum scores may have their results evaluated and determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis through the Admissions Office.)
- TOEFL - 550/79/213 (paper/internet/computer), TOEFL Test Code - #2640
- IELTS – 6.5
- EIKEN – Grade Pre-1
See the information below to determine if you are exempt from this requirement.
Note: Paul Smith's College does not offer an ESL program.
Please note that it is your responsibility to provide all documentation in English. Send entire admissions application packet to:
Paul Smith's College
Office of Admissions
Rts. 86 & 30, P.O. Box 265
Paul Smiths, NY 12970
Note:Due to time sensitivity of processing International Applications and accompanying paperwork, applications for admission will not be accepted by Paul Smith's College after November 30 for the spring semester or July 14 for the fall semester.
Upon receipt of all documents, your file will be reviewed and a decision will be made. If you are accepted into Paul Smith's College, you will receive an official letter of acceptance and instructions on how to confirm your intention to attend Paul Smith’s College by
submitting a deposit of $250.00 in US funds.
Your deposit is only refundable if you are denied access to the U.S. through the visa process. See Payment Options to submit deposit.
The three methods of payment available to international students are as follows:
We accept Visa and Mastercard.
Contact the admissions office for information on how to pay by credit card.
I-20 will only be issued after payment is verified.
Certified Bank Check or Money Order:
Please make sure that amount is in U.S. dollars and payable to Paul Smith's College.
Payment can be mailed to:
Paul Smith's College
P.O. Box 265
Paul Smiths, NY 12970
Obtaining an I-20 – Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status
For routing information, please contact our Office of Student Accounts at 518-327-6204.
In addition to your deposit of $250.00, we will need proof of your ability to cover the cost of your education before an I-20 can be issued. It is estimated that you will need approximately $37,500.00 in U.S. funds available. The following document should be used:
Also, please note that upon confirmation you will be required to pay an I-901 fee (www.fmjfee.com) of $200 to the Department of Homeland Security. In order to enter the country you must present both Paul Smith's College issued I-20 and the I-901 payment receipt.
If you are already attending school in the U.S. and wish to transfer to Paul Smith's, then please request a Transfer Form.
English Proficiency Test Exemption
You are exempt from the English Proficiency Test requirement if you meet one of the following criteria:
- Are a citizen of a country where English is the official (or national) language
- Have earned a diploma from a U.S. High School
- Have earned a diploma from a high school outside the US that is based on the American system of education and English is the primary language of instruction.
- Have earned an associate’s or bachelor’s degree from an accredited US college or university
- Have completed a minimum of one year of study (two full-time semesters) at an accredited US college or university
- Have completed a minimum of one year of study (two full-time semesters) at a college or university in a country where English is the official language.
- Received a waiver from the Paul Smith’s College Office of Admissions based on mutually agreed upon documentation.