When you speak with a Learning Specialist, your confidentiality is assured. The following are the only exceptions:
- You sign a written waiver or give verbal permission to the Learning Specialist to speak with someone else on your behalf (eg. parents, faculty members, health service, personal development counselor, learning resource center, etc.)
- If someone contacts us from the office referring you to the CAS, it is our policy to let them know that you have come for an appointment.
- You are in danger of doing harm to yourself or others. In these instances whatever steps are necessary to protect the individuals involved will be taken.
- The Director of Educational Resources provides supervision to the Learning Specialists at PSC. The Director of Educational Resources and other professional staff may be consulted regarding any advocacy or educational matters as necessary. Student identity will be kept confidential.
- The Learning Specialists may discuss or share information with your professors and parents as necessary only when you sign a waiver. THE BUCKLEY AMENDMENT is a short name for a federal law known as The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) which became law in 1974. It gives all parents of students under 18 years of age, and all students over 18 or attending post secondary schools, the right to see, correct and control access to student records.