Student Development Center Mission
The Student Development Center goal is to support the academic mission of the college by creating a healthy and supportive environment for student success through quality counseling, substance, health education, consultation, referral and Campus Ministry services to the currently enrolled students at Paul Smith's College.
Student Development Center Philosophy
In order to become responsible world citizens and create a more compassionate society,
we facilitate the growth and development of those we serve
by helping to find, articulate, and cherish the uniqueness of each voice.
Paul Smith's College believes that education includes development of the total person. The Counseling and Student Development Center is an integral part of Paul Smith's College. We provide services which are essential to the overall mission of the college. We strive to enhance the quality of life for students during their college years, as well as for the duration of their lives. We are deeply committed to the development of the whole person: academically, personally, socially, spiritually, and physically. We specifically focus our activities towards those aspects of the College's mission statement that address:
- Developing the individual through creative, ethical, and intellectual growth, including skills for healthy, independent, and productive living,
- Enhancing understanding and awareness of self and others, including respecting the diverse backgrounds and characteristics of all persons,
- Active engagement in learning experiences,
- Preparation for successful living and leadership positions in communities and careers,
- Growing through participation in cultural, recreational, student life, and community service programs,
- Accepting the responsibilities that accompany participation in interpersonal relationships, the college, and the communities in which we live.