Welcome back students! It’s the start of a new semester and a fresh start! Take the first few days back to enjoy your return to campus, but remember things are going to get busy quickly between classes, homework, club meetings, and sports practices. While we may all still be reminiscing about the days spent traveling, hiking, hanging out at the beach, or binging Netflix this summer, now’s the time to start getting ahead and back into the “school” mindset to start out the semester successfully!
Follow our top tips to get ready for the first week of class and start out the semester on a positive note:
- Review your course schedule and make changes if necessary.
- Purchase any textbooks and course materials you may need ahead of time. You want to have all of your materials ready for action on the first few days of class!
- Organize all of your course materials – make sure to have a folder/binder and notebook for each course, plus any additional materials you may need like pens, highlighters, a calculator, etc.
- Identify what type of time management tool you will use (planner, desk calendar, phone app/alerts, etc.). Find a system that works for you to help you stay organized and on top of your assignments and commitments!
- Create a rough outline of what your weekly schedule will look like while making sure to designate time for exercise, meals, studying, work, club meetings, and free time. Check out ours HERE!
- Take time to refresh and recharge. You want to start off the semester healthy and strong so make sure to take time to sleep, exercise, eat healthy meals, connect with friends, and complete self-care activities like hiking, yoga, listening to music, etc.
- If you are a first-year student, take the first few days to enjoy all of the new experiences; however, also be sure to complete your Starfish profile, find your classes and professors’ offices, and start utilizing your planner and schedule grid!
Make sure to visit the ASC and take advantage of our free handouts and tools: checklists, study guides, weekly time management plans, semester calendars, and more.
If you would like to talk with someone about your plan for the semester, contact the Academic Success Center directly:
Director, Courtney Bringley firstname.lastname@example.org
Academic Success Counselor, Melinda Bard email@example.com
Academic Success Counselor, Maureen Pellerin firstname.lastname@example.org
Tutor Coordinator, Tracy Elliott email@example.com
Best of luck with the first week of classes!