Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund – Student Aid
Under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, Paul Smith’s College has received funds to provide emergency grants to students with unforeseen emergency expenses caused by the disruption due to COVID-19. Eligible expenses include food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and childcare.
Paul Smith’s College has signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification and Agreement and intends to use no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 18004(a)(1) of the Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
The total amount of funds designated for emergency grant aid for students is $461,129. This will be distributed through an application process, details of which are posted below.
Requests submitted in July will take 4-6 weeks to process
As of 5/25/2020
|Estimated number of eligible students||588|
|Number of students who have received a grant||–|
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund – Emergency Financial Aid Grant to Student
Purpose: to assist PSC students with emergency needs resulting from disruption of campus operations due to COVID 19 in accordance with federal guidelines.
Upon request, funds will be sent directly to students, are not taxable, and are not reflected on financial aid award offers. All requests from students will include a certification that need is for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus (including eligible expenses under a student’s cost of attendance such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care).
- Student Eligibility: Enrolled in Spring 2020 with a valid FAFSA on file
- Timeline: Requests may be made beginning immediately on an ongoing basis through April 25, 2021 or until funds are exhausted.
- Methodology calculation:
- Funds will be distributed to any enrolled student whose individual and/or financial circumstances due to COVID-19 negatively and materially impact their ability to pay expenses resulting from the disruption of campus operations.
- Grant award is based on EFC; and weighted with highest need category.
- EFC<$5,576 (Pell Eligible) $ 1000
- EFC $5,577- $19,999 $ 600
- EFC >$20,000 $ 250
- The grant award may be pro-rated for less than full time status.
While the student has discretion to use the funds to pay any eligible expenses under the cost of attendance (such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care) related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus, students are encouraged to invest in a mobile computing device that meets the minimum required guidelines for their major.
Contact Us »
Paul Smith’s College
Phelps Smith Admin Building
PO Box 265
Paul Smiths, NY 12970-0265
(518) 327-6055: fax
Hours: M-F, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.