Daily Digest / March 24
To: Paul Smith’s College students
Delivered: March 24, 2020
Today’s summary includes new information about getting connected and staying on track. As always, our faculty and academic support teams are here to help you. If you are having difficulty or feeling discouraged, please reach out.
- SLIC is maintaining this map of free SLIC WiFi hotspots in the North Country. SLIC has also announced that they will be providing help for students without internet access at home. For more information, check out their COVID-19 page.
- Spectrum has announced that they will be providing free service during closures for households with affected students where such service is possible. For more information call 1-844-488-8395.
- Comcast has announced programs to assist with free service and increased bandwidth. More information can be found here.
- Before you agree to accept free or discounted internet service, be sure you are fully aware of the commitment. Some of these deals require you to sign a long-term contract.
- In an effort to help students who may not have internet access at home, the following arrangements have been made to provide spots throughout the community. The aim is to provide access while still allowing for social distancing, so you do not need to leave your vehicle to use them. In the case of the fire departments, please be sure that you are not blocking the doors of the fire house. A special thanks to those fire departments and Craig LaVigne of Wireless Internet Now for making these access points possible:
- The parking lot at Malone Middle School
- The staff and student lots at Franklin Academy
- Bangor Fire Department, best reception will be on east side/Malone side of building
- Burke Fire Department, best reception will be east side/Chateaugay side of building
- Duane Fire Department, best reception will be west side route 30 side of building
- Constable Fire Department, best reception west side of community/post office building behind the fire station
- Owls Head Fire Department, best reception north side of building in park area across the street
- County Fairgrounds in Malone
Message from the Center for Academic and Career Success
The Center for Academic and Career Success is committed to transitioning all our programs and services to an online format. If you had established support with any of our services prior to the break, you should have received a personalized email indicating how that support will continue over the remainder of the semester. If you have not received this information, please contact the following individuals:
For Tutoring & SI Support:
- You should receive contact from your Peer Tutor by Wednesday (3/25).
- If you do not hear from you Peer Tutor or if you have any questions about your tutoring, please email Tracy Elliott at email@example.com making sure to indicate the name of the course and your tutor’s name.
For Success Coaching (ARP Students/Transitional Students/General Population/HEOP/TRIO):
- Contact should have come from your Success Coach.
- If you did not receive contact from your Success Coach, please email them directly and copy firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Accommodative Services:
- Contact should have come from Vanessa Case.
- If you did not receive contact from Vanessa, please email her at email@example.com making sure to indicate your specific accommodative support needs.
- We are working on equipping all Canvas courses with a text-reader plug-in called ReadSpeaker. More info will be shared when it is live and available for use.
For Career Services:
- If you had a scheduled career coaching meeting, you would have received contact from Maureen Pellerin.
- If you did not receive contact or have any individual career support related questions, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be focusing our support via “Microsoft Teams” which will allow for students to connect with service providers via online video conferencing. It is a free and easy to use tool. We are working on developing tutorial videos to help with this process, but for now, your service provider should be able to walk you through the steps to connect. We will also continue to utilize Starfish for scheduling of individual Success Coach meetings, tutoring and writing support. You will see a list of all available tutors in your Success Network, along with Service Cards for Writing Support, Accommodative Services, The Center for Academic and Career Success, TRIO SSS and HEOP.
If you find yourself in need of any academic or career related support, please email email@example.com and a member of our team will respond as soon as possible.
Student Health Services
Abigail Fontaine, RN, BSN, Director
Housing & Residence Life
Lou Kaminski, Director
Holly Parker, Director
Teresa Gay, Compliance Coordinator