Notifications and Updates for Faculty and Staff / March 23
To: Paul Smith’s College faculty and staff
Delivered: March 23, 2020
Dear Faculty and Staff,
Welcome to another amazing week for Paul Smith’s College. Based on the governor’s “New York State on PAUSE” executive order, nearly everyone reading this should be working at home or from another remote location. This mandatory physical distance does not change the college’s plans for remote work, but it does underscore the importance of remaining off-campus unless it is absolutely necessary. This is for your own health and safety as well as that of our community.
- Below is clarification on essential functions and personnel:
- Essential operations for remote education, campus security, and property maintenance will continue.
- All employees are required to work remotely unless they support an essential operation and cannot perform all or some critical responsibilities from home. All requests to work on campus grounds must be approved in advance by the supervising Vice President.
- Faculty and staff whose jobs require them to be on campus, either to perform critical campus-based functions or to access necessary tools and/or technology that are not available while working remotely, will be eligible for additional leave time or premium pay, subject to prior approval by the employee’s supervisor.
- Hourly workers will receive full pay plus a 15% premium
- Salaried workers will receive full pay plus one extra paid leave day for every 10 full work days
- Employees who have been approved to access campus workspaces may request assistance from Campus Safety to unlock buildings and other spaces as needed. Please contact Campus Safety in advance of your needing access.
- Additional information regarding working remotely:
- Gwen Goodman, Director of Human Resources, is available to assist with any questions or individual circumstances. Please contact Gwen at (518) 327-6242 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please visit this link for resources to help you perform common tasks using remote technology.
- If you need help forwarding your campus phone to your remote workspace, please submit a ticket to the IT helpdesk by emailing email@example.com.
- Important update for Canvas course design: faculty are not permitted to require live participation in lectures or online classes. Synchronous learning (everyone meeting online at the same time) is available in some courses but NOT required. All classes must be designed to support asynchronous learning.
- Remember to take care of your mental and physical well-being. Getting outside and connecting with nature can have a profound positive impact on your health. Although the VIC facility is closed, trails are open. You are encouraged to review the DEC website NY’s Outdoors are Open for excellent safety guidance for outdoor recreation in this current situation. Please click here for the current This Week @ the VIC newsletter.
Abigail Fontaine, RN, BSN, Director
Housing & Residence Life
Lou Kaminski, Director
Holly Parker, Director
Teresa Gay, Compliance Coordinator