Advancing Students to Careers in Ecology Program (ASCEP)
Applications due April 15, 2019
The Paul Smith’s College Advancing Students to Careers in Ecology Program (ASCEP) aims to increase the educational and career opportunities for academically talented and financially disadvantaged students who are pursuing degrees in biology, fisheries & wildlife science, forest biology, ecological restoration, environmental science, or human health and the environment. Participants in the program will work side-by-side with faculty in those programs and participate in various enhancement opportunities. Faculty members will provide active mentoring and academic assistance for the scholars to maximize their chances for academic success. The scholarships are funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation’s Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics program. Participants in good standing will be awarded the ASCEP scholarship each semester until graduation. Through intensive student and faculty mentoring, scholarship recipients will be encouraged to pursue graduate study or careers in science upon graduation. To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a United States citizen, national, or permanent resident at the time of application.
- Demonstrate financial need as defined by the U.S. Department of Education rules for need-based federal financial aid.
- Be pursuing a bachelor of science degree in one of the following disciplines:
- Biology (BIO)
- Fisheries and Wildlife Science (FWS)
- Ecological Restoration (ECOR)
- Environmental Science (ENV)
- Forest Biology (FBIO)
- Human Health and the Environment (HHAE)
Paul Smith’s College ASCEP Application Checklist
- COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM.
- UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT: Most recent academic transcript including all enrolled, completed, and transferred college credit. Transcript must include final grades for semester prior to applying.
- PERSONAL STATEMENT: Explain how you developed a passion for conserving natural resources and pursuing a career in the natural sciences. Discuss how a degree in fisheries and wildlife science, forest biology or environmental science will help you pursue a career in this field. Detail how the ASCEP scholarship will help with your career goals. Please limit your essay to one single-spaced page using 12-point type.
- TWO LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:
- One from an academic reference who can attest to your academic ability and interest in science as a career.
- Another from a supervisor who can comment on your professionalism (e.g., your motivation, ability to manage time and resources, communication skills, etc.) The author of this letter may have worked with you at a job, volunteer work, athletics, or other capacity.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at (518) 327-6220 / firstname.lastname@example.org or the Director of S-STEM at Paul Smith’s College email@example.com. A limited number of STEM scholarships are available and the selection process is competitive.
Funded by a grant from the National Science Foundation’s S-STEM program.