TRiO Student Support Services
TRiO – Student Support Services is a federally funded program created in 1968 to help students stay in college and graduate. Students can turn to TRiO-SSS for services including tutoring, counseling and peer mentoring as they reach their educational and career goals.
Since its inception at Paul Smith’s, TRiO – Student Support Services has contributed to a significant increase in student persistence and graduation rates at the college.
The TRiO-SSS at Paul Smith’s College is completely funded by the U.S. Department of Education. Our most recent five-year grant, for $1.2 million, serves 165 students a year.
LEARN MORE & APPLY
- Academic, financial, personal, and career counseling
- Financial Literacy, money management, scholarships, and student loan repayment assistance
- Individualized Educational Success Plan and monitoring of academic progress
- Study skills, time management, computer literacy, and other strategies for academic success
- Personality and character strengths assessments
- Professional assistance with writing, research, and math
- Peer mentoring program
- Cultural enrichment trips and events
- Leadership and service learning opportunities
- Transfer advising, including graduate school preparation
- Study abroad opportunities, information, support, and scholarships
All TRiO services are provided at no cost to participants.
Application & Eligibility
Who is eligible?
A student who meets all of the following criteria:
- Is a citizen or national of the United States or meets the residency requirements for federal student financial assistance
- Is enrolled or accepted for enrollment at Paul Smith’s College
- Is a first-generation* college student, or an individual with a disability**, or qualifies for financial reasons***
How do I apply?
In addition to the admission requirements for Paul Smith’s College, applicants for TRiO – Student Support Services must complete and submit:
*Student’s parents have associate’s (2-year) degrees or less.
**If a disability exists, the student must provide documentation which meets Paul Smith’s College guidelines for documenting a disability.
***If a student receives a Pell Grant, it is highly likely student is eligible.
TRiO Grant Aid Application Link and Information
- TRiO awards grant aid towards the end of each semester as funds are available. Review the Check List below and complete the Grant Aid Application. If you are selected to receive grant aid, you grant aid will be added in Financial Aid Portal for the following semester.
- Grant aid will be applied to the following semester (i.e., if grant aid is awarded at the end of the Fall 2023 semester, it will be applied Spring 2024)
Grant Aid Eligibility Checklist:
- PELL Eligible -Receive a federal Pell Grant as part of your Financial Aid;
- Academic Standing: Continue to the best of your ability to stay in good academic standing;
- Financial Literacy: Complete a TRiO Financial Literacy Activity;*
- Advocate Meeting: Meet with your TRiO Success Coach;
- Event Attendance: Attend at least one TRiO participation event(workshop, trip, etc);*
- Application Completion: Submit your application. Remember to complete all required items and activities listed in the application before the deadline (usually the last day of classes)
- *explore TRiO Events, Cultural Enrichment Trips & Financial Literacy Activities bar below
TRiO Events, Cultural Enrichment Trips & Financial Literacy** Activities
*Fall 2023 events: Trip Registration Form link
* 9/2: Beach and Ice Cream Adventure-contact Paula McClure
*9/14: Move, Groove, and Food: sponsored by the VIC Club -contact Ana Candelli
* 9/16: Celebrate the Naming of John Thomas Brook- contact Paula McClure
* 9/27: Networking Lunch- Meet up 11:30-12:30 -contact Amanda Vincent
*10/15: Fright Fest/ Great Escape w Student Engagement -contact Amanda Vincent
Canva Workshop: Create Fall & Halloween designs 12:20-1:15pm- contact Ana Candelli
10/25: TRiO Fall Social: St. Regis Lounge 4-6pm Bring a friend-contact Amanda Vincent
- 10/26: Networking Lunch- Meet up 12:15-1:15 -contact Amanda Vincent
- 11/8: Networking Lunch- Meet up 11:30-12:30 -contact Amanda Vincent
11/11: Thrift Store Tour – contact Monica Buriello
11/14: Health & Wellness: Fair 10am-3pm –contact Paula McClure
11/14: Graduate School Panel: 6-7pm -contact Monica Buriello
11/29: TRiO Gobble Wobble/Jingle Mingle Social & Crafts-Stop in to the TRiO office between 10am-3pm. -contact Amanda Vincent
Questions? Email trip leader or stop by the PSC TRiO office, JWALibrary 209.
- Attend a Peer Mentor workshop (offered each month) or Student Success Sessions(offered later in the semester) presented be CACS Peer Mentors (Library 2nd floor) Topics vary each semester. Previous topics include everything from a hike, planting seeds, to building a budget *, organizing, note-taking, pre-registration +++.
- **ANYTIME: ZOGO Financial Literacy Game app: Use the QRcode below to download and play the Zogo.* You MUST use Access Code: BOBCAT to connect you to PSC Zogo. PSC TRiO and Zogo have partnered to offer this app ad-free. Get gift cards for popular stores by collecting ZOGO pineapples and trading in for gift cards. For Since this is a new venture, this first year we will require only that you complete at least one module for TRiO Grant Aid Financial Literacy participation.
** Financial Literacy activity
To keep up to date on events, check your email and join @psc_trio Instagram
Amanda Laah Vincent