⋅ Photos of any silkmoth are encouraged but will be required for certain species
⋅ Sightings forms from the active survey period will be accepted through October 1
⋅ Project Flyer for Posting
⋅ Make a Donation – A credit card can be used to give a donation through the Paul Smith’s College giving page. Simply enter the dollar amount you want to give, then under ‘designation’ click ‘other’ and type in ‘Project Silkmoth’. Your contribution is tax deductible and will be used to cover the cost of brochures and maintenance of the website.
Photos of adults of all 12 species can be found in “Caterpillars of Eastern North America” by D. Wagner.
The “National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Insects and Spiders” (Milne & Milne) has photos of all but the following 4 species; Columbia, Tuliptree and the two Oakworms.
The “Peterson Field Guide to Insects: America north of Mexico” (Borror & White) has color drawings of Polyphemus, Cecropia, Luna, Io and Regal moths.
Online form – Quick and easy for sightings of individual species
- Form directions – This document explains what information is needed for each sighting. (PDF)
- Download form to email – MS Word document in which multiple species and/or dates can be listed.
- PDF version of form to print – Data from multiple dates and or locations can be listed.
- Single site monitoring form – This version is meant for participants who look for moths at the same site each year.
- Download a free app that lets you use an Android smartphone or an Apple device to submit a sighting. Click here for more details.