Peer Leader Application
We are now accepting applications for Fall 2020 Welcome Week Peer Leaders.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and skilled group of peer leaders to assist with the implementation of activities during the Summer Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) Days AND/OR the Fall 2020 Welcome Week. The dates for both of these events are detailed below, along with information outlining the qualifications and eligibility requirements. Please be sure to read all of the information carefully. We appreciate your interest and encourage you to apply!
Applications due: Friday, May 15th
Interviews: end of May
SOAR Days: June 19, June 26, July 17, & August 7
Required training: Monday, August 24 – Thursday, August 27
Welcome Week: Friday, August 28 – Monday, August 31
What is a Peer Leader:
A Peer Leader serves in a variety of roles, from being a mentor to new students and a resource to parents and families, as well as assisting new students with the transition into the Paul Smith’s Community. Peer Leaders will help to guide new students on the most important aspects of transitioning to Paul Smith’s and becoming connected to academic and student life in hopes of facilitating positive interactions among families and new students. Desirable candidates should have some prior leadership experience and meet the additional requirements listed below. This is a great learning opportunity and a paid work experience.
Qualifications & Eligibility Requirements:
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Be a registered, full-time, student.
- Be in good standing at Paul Smith’s College with no serious judicial sanctions.
- Have a working knowledge of, and commitment to, the mission and values of Paul Smith’s College.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have the ability to work effectively with a diverse group of team members, students, parents, administrators and staff.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn about the College’s people, community, programs, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrate responsibility and willingness to assist others.
- Attend and actively participate in all meetings, training and retreats.
- Not already committed for Fall 2020 as an RA or Peer Educator.
“Being a peer leader has made me part of the Smitty community in ways I never thought were possible. Nothing is more rewarding than to see my peers that I had during welcome week go on to be successful and do amazing things.”
“Being a Peer Leader has become one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The social and leadership skills I have gained from being a Peer Leader have improved my college and professional career as a whole. Not only that, it’s fun and you make friendships that last a lifetime.”